Thursday, March 09, 2006

What song do you sing?

The longer I live, the more I realize that most people on the planet just don't get it. We're here for such a short time. We're here by the grace of something much larger than any of us could ever, in any religion, conceive of. We're here in the same way that robins are here, or octopi, or the farthest star in the universe is here. And all us beings have more in common, so much more, than even we can dream of. We are as alike as blades of grass are alike, as snowflakes are alike (yes, I know no two snowflakes are alike but we all know what happens to each and every snowflake when it hits the ground.)

The other day on CBC there was an item about loons - how the male loon changes its song when it changes location, in an apparent attempt to distinguish itself from the other male loons that preceded it.

If loons in all their bird-brained wisdom can adapt to changing conditions, how come humans who - so the theory goes - have superior intellect, keep singing the same old song - "I'm right. I'm right. I'm right."

For more info on that loon see:
http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2006/223/2

No comments: