Sunday, September 17, 2006

Fog for the Blog

John has gone off to cover the Terry Fox Run this morning so I was all alone when I woke up the second time. Came into the living room to find that there was a wall of fog surrounding the building. The railing on the balcony resembled the railing on a ship fog-bound outside of Port-aux-Basques. A familiar sight. A little startling not to see anything -- anything at all. This is the third time I've seen fog here. Must be the lake effect. Reminds me so much of Newfoundland which, by the way, we will be returning to sometime around Oct. 16 to spend our first nights in the new homestead. Doris and Tom will likely meet us at the airport and accompany us since they probably won't be building anymore that time of year.

John has recovered from his food allergy. We are now looking around to find a place where he can get some testing done to find out just what it was that did it to him. Since it was a fairly extensive anaphylactic shock, we have to arm ourselves with some knowledge so that it doesn't happen again. Poor fellow is afraid to eat anything now, although he has agreed to foods that he has had many times before, despite the fact that everything we ate last Sunday night was also very familiar to him.

I went home this past week to attend a Lymphedema workshop. Found out that I can get it, even though I now have no symptoms, just about anytime. Even thirty years from now should I be lucky enough to live so long.

Very sad this week to hear of the death of Oriana Fallaci. I did not even know she had breast cancer and I feel a kinship with her after the fact. I am going to check out her latest books from the library this week and see what everyone's been talking about. I do not believe that she went off the deep end in her old age, or that she mouthed off just because she knew she wouldn't be around much longer. I do believe that everything she said, she truly believed. And given that she was right about so much else in her life and work, she might well be right in these books too. I'll read and report.

No comments: