Friday, September 22, 2006

It could be worse

I have been looking forward to this weekend for weeks, nay months. It's Ryder Cup weekend and I deliberately planned to have nothing at all to do from 8am to 6pm every day from Friday to Sunday.

So this morning, I got up at 7:30, got my breakkie, a cup of organic mint/green tea, today's paper, and in my bathrobe went back to bed to enjoy a day of golf. (I hate playing golf but I love watching Tiger.)

Tiger and Jim Furyk had just gone 3 Up when the screen went blank. Every darn channel was nothing but grey dots and static. Say what? Okay, probably just a temporary outage. Time to take my shower. 10 minutes later after an unusually leisurely shower (for me), I turn on the TV again to find the same #($*. Okay, now I'm getting upset.

I phone the cable company. From my number, they are able to tell where I'm phoning from and the recorded male voice says, "I see we are experiencing difficulty in your area. We are currently working on the problem and expect to have it corrected by ... [inserted female voice] 3 P.M."

I can't believe it. My day is in shambles. There is absolutely nothing else I want do. I made sure that everything else that needed doing this weekend has been done. Even stayed up late last night making some window panels (long story) that had been on my list for a few days.

Sigh. Double sigh. I just know it's some old lady that's bunged herself and her car up against a telephone pole. There's been a rash of senior driver accidents here lately. Just two days ago an old lady killed a man who was crossing a driveway in a motorized scooter. A few weeks ago, an old man who must have been blind as well as stupid, drove his car into a plate glass window of a house. It seems that he also accelerated as he did it. But I digress. That's a whole 'nuther rant.

I thought I'd content myself with at least keeping up with the score on the Internet. but alas, there's a time lag. The scores they are posting are for the afternoon matches, and I haven't even seen the complete morning match yet. I don't want to look at the score for the morning match in case TV comes back on again and I'll have spoiled all the fun.

Okay. Time to regroup. Take a deep breath. It could be worse. I could always be a Taliban wife.

No comments: