Friday, June 13, 2008

Oh Shit

Summerford:

We took a run up to the house last night because John remembered he left a tarp on the ground. If the wind came up, it would be down on the wharf or out in Friday Bay by morning.

He also went into the house to get a few things we needed (hair dye for me, the electrical meter for him).

I stayed in the car as has been my wont lately. I really don't enjoy seeing the house up in the air like this. But for some reason I got out and took a stroll around. I had my first Oh-Shit-moment of the day when I noticed that the crib under the porch seemed to be on a slant. What the....? It had been raining all day, off and on and perhaps the ground was soft. Did it cause the crib to slip? Or was it always like that and we didn't notice?

Needless to say, my stress level soared into the stratosphere. I called to John and made him come look. He said something that sounded like "Hmm". I think he was choosing his words carefully, knowing what I'm like. He did his best to make me think that this was the way the crib had looked the day before and was supposed to look. I was not buying it.

So we got in the car and we were very quiet all the way up through Fairbank and Virgin Arm. I think we spoke only once and that was when I made him promise not to go under the house again. Ever. I don't think he committed to that. I think he uttered another "Hmm."

When we were almost back to Summerford, I realized that we had not taken a picture of the damn crib. I didn't have my camera with me so I had a good excuse. I'm also not a photojournalist. Another good excuse.

I was hoping that we'd get in touch with Robert Coates last night but we didn't. I'm not in charge of phone calls to Mr. Coates so I don't know why we didn't call. And I'm doing my very best to give the responsibility of the whole thing over to the experts and tell myself that if they're not worried, I shouldn't be. It's just that I know these same people are probably expert also in not showing when they're worried.

Today John went up to the house to see if the men showed up to work. It's raining and they didn't. The forecast shows the next day without rain will be Wednesday. That's 5 (count'em) days away. Yikes.

There wasn't much John could do at the house. He waited to see if the crew would turn up and when he was just about to start the car and come back here, a semi arrived. It was headed to the wharf to pick up a load of crab.

The driver must have been new on the job because he opened his window and asked John if this was the only wharf around here. Poor fellow. I guess he was panicking at the thought of backing this behemoth down the lane to the wharf, especially since John was parked near the corner and there was a load of dirt on the road (from our digger this week). As is the case whenever a load of anything is picked up, there were Fisheries inspectors up the yingyang with their vehicles parked all over the place.

The driver of the semi got out and asked our neighbour to move his pickup. He may have got a strip torn off him for not being able to turn his semi on a dime.

Finally the truck got turned and backed up. But not before it tore through our pile of dirt, flattening most of it and leaving the rest in a precarious cliff on the road. I suspect most of the dirt is bonded to the eighteen tires.

Once he was able to get clear of the cove, John phoned to say he was definitely going to buy a wheel barrow. We'd discussed this earlier and I thought there were things we needed worse than a wheel barrow. But I just got outvoted.

Bonus: John said he'd move the dirt himself since we have only one shovel and one wheel barrow and also since he knows how stressed I'd be up around that damn crooked crib. I thanked him profusely - and then suggested that it might be a good idea to put a tarp over that crib to prevent it from deteriorating any more in all the rain we're going to get.

And the drama continues. Probably mostly in my head.

Postscript: Just noticed that today is Friday the 13th. Good thing I'm not superstitious.


No comments: