Monday, June 23, 2008

That Solstice Thing Really Works

Hillgrade:

Summer has arrived. Right on cue. Sunday, June 22, was magnificent. The sky was a clear and heart-breaking blue. The temp was 20 when we were driving towards Twillingate. It must have gone higher because we had to take off clothing after that.

Yesterday we decided to take a hike to see the iceberg that is just off French Beach. It's really around the headland that is north of French Beach, but we don't know the name of that headland. There is bound to be a local name and I will inquire. But suffice to say for now that the iceberg is just north of French Beach.

We drove as far as is possible. Parked by the sign that declares the Road Beyond This Point Impassible. We ate the sandwiches we had made, reckoning that it was better to fuel up before we started than to eat them squished later. We packed a bottle of water into a knapsack and started off. We really weren't sure of the route but figured how hard could it be.

As we were tramping in, we met some people coming out. I stopped them and asked if they had seen the iceberg. Of course they had and reported that the trail was a loop. Even if you go the hard way, you can come out the easy way. Oookay. They were tourists and were not particularly friendly, being mainlanders and all.

A fellow coming out in a truck told us that the trail started just by an old cabin. Very good then.

We found what appeared to be the start of the trail and headed off. Before long, we were nearly up to our knees in a bog and had to double back. We took a rockier path, although to get across the boggy part, we had to jump stones. I didn't get my feet wet so I guess I must not be that old yet.

The path took us along the coast and the scenery was breathtaking. See pics below.

We had to scramble up some very precarious slopes, grasping at tree roots (at least I was), slipping and sliding. But I made it up! Yay. I consider it a personal achievement. The last time I was presented with a hill like that, I quit. (That was in Point Leamington a few years ago. And before you start calling me names, I'll say in my defense that I was wearing sandals when army boots would have been barely adequate.) But talk about worth it. We were atop a very large headland. Looking down I got dizzy. Looking up I got dizzy. It must be how astronauts feel. Sky everywhere.


What I remember most though is the smell. I can conjure it up now as I type. It's a scent sweet and sharp, high and low, gets into your nose and your stomach. You can taste it as though you had just eaten it. Like it seeps up through your feet. A mixture of moss and berries, lichen and spruce and juniper, and sunshine. It's enough to make you drunk. Certainly enough to make you cry.

Just when the sweat was pouring off us and we were about to strip off all our clothes, a very cool breeze brought on the shivers. We must be close to the iceberg. Over some more rocks, down a bit, around a bend and there it was.

Of course, we had to take a bunch of pictures. John took more than I did and certainly better ones. I was pooped and lay down on the moss. Got a picture of my feet with the burg beyond. It was glorious lying there. Nothing but me and the burg and the sun and the cliffs. I could have happily lain there the rest of my life. As it was, we spent about an hour out there. Then some tourists from Guelph (I know because I asked them after they had been sitting about 20 feet from us for twenty minutes. Only one of them actually spoke though. Maybe that iceberg had the rest of them tongue-tied.




I took a picture of two of them as we were leaving. I like the way she's leaning as thought she wants to get closer to the berg.




[Reviewing this entry, I realize I MUST spend some time figuring out how this blogger thing works. I absolutely hate how it (or I) have handled this pictures. There must be a better way to integrate text and images so it doesn't look like a ham-fisted job like this one.]
Anyway, I'm off to watch Wimbledon at a friend's house.



No comments: