Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The store that time forgot

Summerford:

In the previous post, I mentioned going into a store in Stoneville to ask for directions.

What a place! From the outside it was just a nondescript building. Could be a roadhouse, a storehouse, or an anything house. It had few if any windows that I remember. The door on the right side of the building was reachable by a few large wooden steps.

On opening the door, I thought I was on a stage head. Large coils of rope, balled up tarpaulins and other unidentifiable items crowded the entryway. I had to push the door all the way open to the right to find space to walk.

Ahead of me was a rather large open area and to my right, aisles and aisles of merchandise, some on shelves, some on the floor, some falling from shelf to floor. Some was hung from the ceiling, some propped against the walls. Still more was piled on the floor. None of it looked like it had been disturbed in decades.

To my left was a very tall display, if I can call it that, of more merchandise. It may have been stacked on a counter that I think ran the length of the front of the building. At the far end of this counter were two men: one behind the counter, one in front. Obviously store owner and customer.

I approached them and was completely unable to hide my astonishment at what I was seeing. I probably said something like "Wow. There's a lot of stuff in this store."

The customer remarked with a nod of his head towards the storekeeper, "And he's the only one who knows what's here." The storekeeper grinned, with what could be nothing other than pride.

I asked them if they knew who was having a house moved. They both shook their heads and mentioned the house that had been raised and which we had passed on our way into town. They figured that it probably wasn't going anywhere at this stage since the concrete blocks for its foundation had already been stacked at the side.

The storekeeper asked if I wanted him to call the gas station to see if they might know. Sure, I said. That'd be nice of him. He got on the phone and I could hear the names of a couple being mentioned and within seconds I had the information I had come in for. The house we sought was even further on the other side of town than we had allowed for so we had to go back where we'd come from in order to see it.

While he was on the phone, I was rummaging in the chocolate bar and candy display. It was very disheveled and I found a bar that I had not seen before. Its label said Peanut Snack, All Natural. It didn't have any indicator for Trans Fats. It's ingredient label had a category called Saturated Fats and Cholesterol. I've never known any products to have that breakdown of ingredients. It should have been a clue.

I put it on the counter and told him I'd take it. He said he wouldn't charge me for it because it was probably old. I told him I'd find another one since there were lots there. He said they were all old. I said that was probably okay because I was too. We all laughed.

He said the only way to find out if it was edible or not was to open it. He tore one open and took a bite. Old, he said. It didn't look too bad to me, so I asked him how much he'd charge for the bars normally. Oh, about seventy-nine cents, he figured. I put two quarters down on the counter and said I couldn't take something for nothing. I left, telling him I'd be back since we lived not far away.

And I will be back. Will get Jo to go with me. And I'll have a camera next time. I'll ask permission of course, but I'll get some good pics.

As I was leaving, I got a glimpse of one of those lamps that people used to put in their livings rooms in mid-70s. Like 3 lights on a pole, one low, one medium, one high. With an amber shade on each. Wow.

I'll be back and I'll tell you about it. In the meantime, don't buy any Peanut Snack bars. They probably don't make them anymore and if you find one, it's definitely old. Yowsa.


No comments: